Protect Your Home Network
Posted by FreedomNet
Protect Your Home Network: You may have a pretty good wi-fi network where you live. But is your home network safe? Even after a network has been created and devices have been connected to it, users should take steps to make sure their router is secure from unwanted users and external threats. Here are a few steps you can take to better secure your wi-fi network:
- Configuring and updating your router – New customers of FreedomNet will usually have a technician assist them with configuring their router during installation of our service. But if no one has ever configured your device, it may be worth it to take a look and make sure the security settings are correct. This will also allow you to see what devices are connected to your network, and check for any firmware updates.
- Change passwords regularly – This one may be a no-brainer, but changing your password on a regular basis forces hackers and external threats to constantly try to crack your new password making it that much harder for them to access your network and wireless devices remotely.
- Hiding your wireless network – It is common in more densely populated areas for there to be several wi-fi networks in your area. Most routers allow you to hide your network from appearing on public wi-fi lists, only requiring your SSID (service set identifier) and password to access it.
- Use a VPN – Also known as Virtual Private Networks, VPN’s essentially add an extra layer between your device and the content you are accessing online, making it much harder for anyone on your network, or not, to remotely spy on you.
- Turn off the wi-fi – The best thing about this method is that it’s completely full proof, although you also will not have access to your wi-fi network. If you only do so when you, or other people you know, are not actively using the internet, then you can at least guarantee that access to your wi-fi network won’t occur during that period of time.
While there’s no practical method that is completely full proof, besides just turning off your router, you can at least make it very difficult for outside users to gain access to your network. That will ensure that you can surf the web in relative safety.
As Michigan’s #1 rural internet provider, we pride ourselves in providing the best quality of service along with great customer support based in Michigan.
If you are interested and would like to know more information, feel free to fill out a Contact Us form, or call our offices at 866.669.4737 ext. 2 and speak with a sales representative. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.